Photo by Victoria Shes on Unsplash
Summer is in full swing, and nothing says Chicago Summer like enjoying a cocktail on a patio and soaking up the sun. If you’re not up for venturing to your neighborhood bar or finding a rooftop bar to enjoy, make one of these refreshing summer cocktail recipes (or mocktails!) yourself and sit back and relax!
Created in 1934 by Fernand Petiot at The St. Regis New York’s King Cole Bar, the Bloody Mary became the signature cocktail of the St. Regis. Now, each St. Regis has its own unique, locally inspired twist on the cocktail. Until The St. Regis Chicago announces its own signature Bloody Mary recipe later this year, consider making the original. Or try out any of the other St. Regis Bloody Mary recipes!
1. The Original Bloody Mary: The Red Snapper From The St. Regis New York
- 1 oz. premium vodka
- 11 oz. Bloody Mary mix
- 1 lemon wedge (for garnish)
The Signature Bloody Mary Mix:
- Juice of 3 lemons
- 2 ½ #10 cans tomato juice
- 5oz. Worcestershire sauce
- 10 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 2 T freshly ground black pepper
- 2 T ground cayenne pepper
- 1 T ground celery salt
- Fill 12 oz. Bloody Mary glass with ice
- Add vodka
- Fill glass with Bloody Mary mix and garnish with lemon
- Pour ingredients into a container and shake well
- Use immediately or seal and refrigerate
- Strain peppercorns from mix before adding alcohol
You can never go wrong with a classic Margarita to kick off your summer Friday. Grab your favorite bottle of tequila, some limes, and try this fabulous summer Margarita recipe for yourself!
2. Classic Margarita
- 1 ½ oz. tequila
- 1 oz. orange liqueur
- ¾ oz. lime juice
- Lime wedge (for garnish)
- Coarse salt for rimming the glass (optional)
- Add tequila, orange liqueur, lime juice, and a few ice cubes into a cocktail shaker.
- Shake, shake, shake
- Pour over into glass over ice (salted rim, or no salted rim)
- Add lime wedge for garnish
If you’re feeling classy, you might as well go with one of the oldest types of cocktails out there – the Whiskey Sour. Use the egg white, or don’t. The nice thing about a Whiskey Sour is it’s customizable, so make it your own!
3. Whiskey Sour
- 2 oz. whiskey
- ¾ oz. lemon juice
- ½ oz. simple syrup
- ½ oz. egg white (optional)
- Bitters (for garnish)
- Add whiskey, lemon juice, simple syrup and egg white (if using) to a shaker and shake for 30 seconds without ice
- Add ice and shake again until well-chilled
- Strain into a coupe glass
- Garnish with 3 or 4 drops of bitters
Feel like going international? Transport yourself to Italy with a traditional Aperol Spritz. While it was designed to be consumed before dinner, there are no rules when you’re making them at home!
4. Aperol Spritz
- 3 oz. prosecco
- 2 oz. Aperol
- 1 oz. club soda
- Orange slice (for garnish)
- Add the prosecco, Aperol and club soda to a wine glass filled with ice and stir
- Garnish with an orange slice
Lastly, if you’re looking for a refreshing cocktail minus the hangover, opt for a zero-proof version of your favorite cocktail. Try this virgin Piña Colada using Ritual Zero Proof Rum Alternative! This summer mocktail recipe is guaranteed to refresh as you luxuriate on a lazy summer day. Pro tip: National Piña Colada Day is on July 10!
5. Virgin Piña Colada
- 2 oz. Ritual Rum Alternative
- 1½ oz. cream of coconut
- 1½ oz. pineapple juice
- ½ oz. lime juice, freshly squeezed
- Pineapple wedge (for garnish)
- Pineapple leaf (for garnish)
- Add Ritual Rum Alternative, cream of coconut, pineapple and lime juices to a blender with ice
- Pour into a chilled Hurricane glass
- Garnish with a pineapple wedge and pineapple leaf
Interested in enjoying one of these cocktails from your balcony or the amenity floor of The St. Regis Chicago? Please inquire with The Residences at The St. Regis Chicago here.